Sunday, April 26, 2015

Miniature Books: Cupcake Toppers



What is the Perfect Gift for a Librarian?  

   I found myself completely stumped by this question.  After an accumulated 3 years of working with a lovely group of ladies at my city's local library, I was officially leaving and I needed to find the perfect parting gift.  

   Librarians know and have everything they need at all times (it seems to be part of the job description to be prepared and content) so, what kind of good-bye/celebration gift could I possibly give?  

   I decided to bake my favorite cupcakes, and realized that all librarians love classic books (OF COURSE!) So, the night before I left I spent all night printing out mini children's books, taping them onto toothpicks, and baking delicious cupcakes. Yum! (...Who needs sleep anyway?)


These mini cupcake toppers are perfect for all kinds of celebrations or for a meaningful treat! 

(Plus they're super easy to make)


I used classic children's books because they are so colorful and most people are familiar with them from a glance.  You could use any book you like (think book clubs, bible studies, get well soon notes, birthday parties, or any holiday!)

You will need:

-  Toothpicks
-  Double-stick Tape
-  Paper
-  Word or photoshop 
-  Printing Capabilities



   I found these images online and shrunk them to about 1 inch on the long-side.  Then I created a box of the same size and similar color, then placed it next to the cover on a page.  I typed "Love Monica" on the back of my covers, but you can leave yours plain if you prefer.

   Next, make a rectangle of the same size as the cover & back cover together for your inside page.  You can type any message you'd like here. I made mine a Thank you note, but you could write anything.



   Then, I printed the covers on a sheet of paper, and the inside notes on another sheet. I cut these all out and put them in piles.

   Finally, pull out the double-stick tape! (of just make rings with single-stick tape) It helps to fold the covers and inside pages in half, matching the corners so you know they're straight.  Stick the toothpick to the center fold on the back of the inside page. Then stick the cover to the other side creating your very own mini-book! (keep notice that you are taping and sticking the toothpick to the blank sides of the pieces.


Here's My Favorite Cupcake Recipe:

   You can certainly use any cupcake recipe you like, or even buy them pre-made ...I'll keep your secret ;)

Recipe from "A Book of Favorite Recipes" by St. Casimir's PTA
   Try to be creative with these lovely little notes/mini-books!  If these have inspired you to decorate for a special occasion or  a simple treat to remind someone how special they are to you, please send in a photo (to greveram22@gmail.com)  I'd love to see yours! =)

Enjoy and be artsy! 
xoxo
-Moni Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment