Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Paper Nuptials


As inspired by the beautifully detailed work of Brittney Lee, I have created this card for a day to remember forever - Kelly and Greg's Wedding.

Congratulations Kelly & Greg!



Kelly, my cousin and best friend, married her Prince, Greg, on October 17, 2013.  It was a very sweet ceremony outside by the Rancocas Creek around sunset.  The couple gathered close family members for the very special marriage.  Kelly wore a light pink dress, and Greg wore his navy uniform as a friend of the family married them. Everyone was so happy and excited for them to begin their wonderful lives together.



For such a special moment in their lives, I wanted to create a card that would capture the moment.  Despite the size of this wedding, there were a lot of nice details that have a lot of meaning.  I wanted to try to incorporate as much as possible.

Here's How I Created This Piece:


Tools Needed


Sketch, Cut-Out, & Color
Glue together layers

The vail Kelly wore was made by hand.  We held a family and friends craft night, and created the flower and vail piece by piece.  The beads in the center of the flower were beads from our great grandmother.  I glued one on the paper version to add a nice touch and depth to the piece.  The paper vail was actually a fine tool fabric cut to fit.

Fine Details
Fine Details
Actual Flower


I tried to mimic some of the techniques Brittney Lee uses in her pieces like having different depths rather than just flat pieces of paper.  I also added the tree to fill some of the outside of the piece so your eye has more movement and it centers around the couple nicely.  And in the hole in the tree I wrote the date (10-17-13).



In all, I loved creating this paper art.  It was time consuming, and very delicate but I found that using the exacto knife and a mix between color pencils, markers, and paint pens, I could really create what I was picturing.  I had a lot of control over the elements, but I did have to re-create or practice a lot of them multiple times.  It's definitely an art form that needs patience.


I hope you enjoyed my version of paper art.. if you give it a try please share your work.

Come back next weekend for some more Artspiration!

-Moni




No comments:

Post a Comment